Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Interview with photographer Alina Uritskaya




Alina Uritskaya is a freelance photographer based in London.
1.What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you? 
-Many things: the everyday life with its simple pleasures, the nature, but recently it is London, an amazing city I am lucky to live in, and its people.

                2. Tell us about your experience as  photographer what did it give you?
-I see the world through the lens and I am looking for a perfect frame, all the time, every second of my life  - it is a blessing and a curse at the same time.


               3. Three adjectives to describe yourself.
-Sensitive, creative, undecided.


                4. A film, a book and a song.
-Films by Russian director Andrei Zvyagintsev - beautiful parables with exceptional photography.

Book: 'Wasp factory' by Iain Banks - smart, controversial, funny.
I like Maria Gadu's interpretation of the timeless song "Ne me quitte pas" by Jacques Brel.

               5. What camera do you use? Dou you use one lens?
-I use a Canon 5D MkII and several Canon lenses. My favourites are the 35mm and 55mm primes.


               6. Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
-I haven't had any but hoping to have one sometime.


    7. Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?

-I sell prints, postcards and calendars via RedBubble. I also accept orders via email/website and get the picture printed and framed at one of the best London printing studios.

     8.  Favourite photographer.

-There are so many great photographers.  Annie Leibovitz, Diane Arbus, Helmut Newton, to name a few.

      9. Your main concept.

-The concept is different for each series but it is essential for me to touch people with my photographs, make them feel and make them think.

         10.  Describe some of your projects.


-In 2011, I made a series about the life of a Maasai tribe - semi-nomadic people living in the Tanzanian savanna who have kept their traditional lifestyle, customs and practices. Observing the life of the tribe was a mesmerising and sobering experience at the same time. 
Another project of mine called 'Emptiness inside' explores the links between the physical emptiness of the space and the neglected interiors and the emotional emptiness, isolation and loneliness of the human beings suffering from mental disorders. It was shot in an abandoned psychiatric hospital in Belgium. 
                
           11.   Your plans.
-I'm working on a series of portraits of the Russian 'lost generation' - people who 
had an established life when 'perestroika' came in 1990, and who struggled to
 adapt to the environment that changed so quickly and so brutally. I also shoot a 
lot of London street style so do not be surprised if you see me at one of the
 London's fabulous vintage markets. 


































         
            



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...